Sunday, April 17, 2011

Sandwiches with a Smile

After living in the North End for nearly five years, it wasn’t until six months ago that I really took notice to Volle Nolle. Next to the most popular restaurant in the North End, Giacomo’s, Volle Nolle is almost hidden from the standard human eye. Shying away with its humble chocolate-colored awning, Volle Nolle is quite possibly North End’s secret local hangout. Quickly becoming my favorite Saturday pastime, I am greeted by Torri the owner and my friendly North End neighbors as soon I walk through the door. Only open Monday through Saturday, from 11 AM to 4 PM, Torri sure knows how to draw a crowd. Business owners, restaurant workers and locals alike come to Volle Nolle for its delicious sandwiches and renowned chocolate chip cookies. I’ve tried four sandwiches so far – the Cubano, Portobello, Chicken Milanese, and Grilled Ham and Cheese – and I have yet to be disappointed. The Cubano, my favorite, comes on a grilled sweet French roll, and is stuffed with juicy pulled pork, black forest ham, salami, melted swiss cheese, spicy mayo, mustard, cumin and thinly sliced pickles. The sandwich is served hot, accompanied by a large bottle of Sriracha, so you can drizzle as much as you like to give your sandwich just the right amount of spice. Torri’s sandwiches are perfectly complemented with tiny, flavorful cornichons, and if you’re lucky you may even get a free chocolate chip cookie. The Portobello is a close second, with roasted Portobello mushrooms crusted with parmesan cheese and breadcrumbs, roasted red peppers, fresh mozzarella, baby spinach, fresh basil and basil mayonnaise.

The Chicken Milanese was a real surprise. Thinking I was ordering your average fried chicken sandwich, I was mistaken. The fried chicken breast is crusted with parmesan cheese and breadcrumbs, similar to the Portobello, and topped with green leaf lettuce and lemon mayonnaise on grilled French white bread. The chicken is tender and moist, and so completely flavorful. As for the last sandwich I have tried, Torri likes to call it the “adult ham and cheese” – and there really aren’t any other words that more perfectly describe this sandwich. The swiss cheese and black forest ham are flawlessly paired with caramelized onions, frisee lettuce and mustard on grilled French white bread.



Although I have yet to try all of Torri’s sandwiches, I have no doubt that I will enjoy each and every one of them. Made with love and the freshest ingredients Boston has to offer, it's easy to see why Volle Nolle is the quintessential sandwich shoppe of the North End. Grab a seat in the window, order a sandwich and a chocolate chip cookie and strike up a conversation with the friendly stranger next to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment