Friday, April 29, 2011

The Earl

Arguing between Sbarro’s and the Earl of Sandwich at Logan Airport’s international terminal, I watch as a girl marches past her boyfriend toward Sbarro’s. Not so subtly, her boyfriend exclaims that the Earl’s is rumored to have amazing sandwiches. She shrugs, and simply states that she is not in the mood for a sandwich. I stare on in disbelief, as my heart fills with empathy. That poor sandwich-lover is not going to get the opportunity today to try Earl’s self-acclaimed "world's greatest hot sandwich”. Slightly in awe that the couple couldn’t just opt for different meals, I stand in Earl’s long line eagerly anticipating one of his famous hot sandwiches.

Scoping out the variety of options, I finally settled on the Caribbean Jerk Chicken to get me in island-vacation mode. Keeping my standards low, I bit into the hot, toasty baguette, lightly filled with chicken bits, banana peppers and “jerk sauce”. The filling can be most precisely defined as more of a spread, but regardless, the sandwich was…not bad. I wouldn’t cause a scene and run through security without a flight ticket to get my hands on one, but it was far better than any other options available near my gate (which were Master Wok, Starbucks and Sbarro’s). Although lacking some classics like lettuce, tomatoes and cheese, the banana peppers mixed with the jerk sauce gave the otherwise bland chicken a surprising kick.

I won’t be bowing down to you any time soon, Great Earl, but I may give your other sandwiches a shot next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment