Tuesday, August 9, 2011

The Burger KING?

Often proclaimed for having the best burgers in the Boston area, Mr. Bartley's even received the title of "best burgers in America" from the Boston Globe (I'm sure there is no bias).  No doubt that this is one historical landmark (open since 1960), lounging smack in the middle of Harvard Square with massive lines jutting from the door just about every day.  I was a little skeptical at first because the place is entirely too touristy.  As you wait in line, a hostess gives you menus and comes back to take your order so that when you do eventually get seated, your burgers arrive not too long after.

Although the line was long, it moved quickly and within 20 minutes, Cat, Jess and I were seated.  Beverages were immediately set down in front of us, along with the s'mores frappe we ordered to share.  The frappe was incredibly comforting; fresh chocolate ice cream, graham crackers and whipped cream cycloned together to create a classic milkshake.  As waiters shouted over to chefs and school kids laughed in a corner, I observed the condiment selection at our table.  Ketchup and mustard, the standards, were available in plastic tubes, along with little buckets of toppings: sliced sandwich pickles, thick white onions, and a hot pepper jelly.

Our three burgers arrived swiftly, and I excitedly bit into my juicy burger topped with sauerkraut and Russian dressing.  Sizzling with moistness, the burger was anything but neat, and I indulged in the flavors and juices composed in each bite.  Admittedly, I may like the standard burger at Mr. Bartley’s more (than the beloved R.F.), but the bun, which was a bit soggy, is far superior at R.F.  As a complete package, R.F.’s BlackJack, slathered with Cajun spices, is still #1 in my eyes, but wow.  Mr. Bartley’s did not fail to impress me.



Additional photos taken inside and outside (note line out the door!!)



No comments:

Post a Comment